A New Illustration Project

I've had an idea for a children's picture book project for almost a year now. It's about time to start developing it! I'm hoping that blogging the process will help keep me focused and on task.

The initial idea was to combine the girly interests of my daughter and the boy-builder interests of my son into a story and illustrations they could both enjoy. The approach would be pandering: a princess remodels the family castle using big construction equipment.

I've been thinking recently about setting this story in the future while maintaining as much fairytale iconography as possible. I love the idea of creating a "universe" where this story and others can take place, like Oz or Narnia, but rather than be a fantasy realm, mine would be science fiction.

I think I can create something fun and fresh with this approach. I can't think of much existing science fiction in the picture book category. Also, as an amateur armchair futurist, I'm excited about creating a vision of the future, something optimistic and child friendly, but realistic and honest as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment