Year 3000 World Map

I'm thinking of placing my tale in the year 3,000. It's far enough away to open up the possibility for just about anything but not so far that the world would be some completely radical place (like 300,000 AD might be).

Also, if I'm a pessimist about the future (I'm not) I might place a big environmental, cultural, technological disaster in the next couple of hundred years which leaves centuries to "recover" and make the "horror" a distant memory. 800 years would practically be ancient history at our current pace of change.

My story would likely not even touch on the history between today and the year 3,000. What kid would want to read that? But I'm thinking about it as a way to create a complete world. Also, since what I'm doing is technically science fiction, it'd be nice to have done some research.

For example, here's a cool world relief map from 1972. It's a little wonky, but it generally shows the coasts how they are today.


Now in a 1000 years, lets say the sea level rises 10, 20, 100 feet! What might the world look like then? If the seas rose 500 feet (I don't know that that could ever actually happen given the amount of water and ice on earth), you'd basically be erasing the entire grass green portion. Horrifying now (especially for Florida), but in a 1000 years, that could make for one cool globe. Maybe include a crater lake the size of Australia in Russia to hint at some catastrophic meteor strike. The possibilities are endless!

No comments:

Post a Comment